Delrin® Plastic Machining
Delrin® 150 is an ideal material for parts that require high stiffness and dimensional stability, low friction, and good chemical resistance. Delrin® plastic also exhibits excellent wear properties in both wet and dry environments, making one of the more versatile engineering plastics available. This material offers excellent machinability, making it ideal for parts that require intricate geometries and/or tight tolerances. Upland Fab has been working with Delrin® acetal for decades. We have the skills and expertise to produce quality parts the first time—and every time!
Delrin Acetal Homopolyer vs. Acetal Copolymer
Delrin 150 is a homopolymer variation of acetal. Though similar in most aspects, both options do provide unique characteristics that may make them better suited to your specific application. Both “standard” acetal and Delrin acetal are available in a variety of grades, including FDA-approved grades for food-contact applications. Contact Upland Fab to discuss your material requirements.
- Delrin acetal homopolymer exhibits higher strength at room temperature than acetal copolymer, in addition to greater toughness and stiffness.
- Acetal copolymer (standard acetal) offers better overall performance in continuous high heat or hot water environments; it also has lower porosity than Delrin.
Industrial Uses for Delrin Materials
Due to Delrin’s many beneficial characteristics, it is an ideal solution for a variety of industrial manufacturing productions.
- Medical: Due to Delrin’s high rigidity and ability to be sterilized, it is suitable for many medical applications. Delrin medical devices often include metered dose inhalers, auto-injector pens, tubing clamps, and more.
- Defense: Plastic parts used in the defense industry must meet exacting specifications and regulatory guidelines, and Delrin is up to the task. It is commonly used to manufacture components for defense vehicle systems, chemical detection devices, sensor systems, and many other parts.
- Semiconductor & Electronics: Semiconductors and electronic manufacturers require precision parts that meet tight tolerances. Delrin is a high-performance solution for producing electrical enclosures, connectors, and other insulating parts.
- Aerospace: Delrin’s optimal performance in challenging environments makes it a good choice for aerospace assemblies. It is commonly used for aircraft systems and structural parts, landing gear, spacecraft components, and others.
Properties of Delrin Plastic
|ASTM or UL test||Property||Acetal
|Delrin ® AF
|D570||Water Absorption, 24 hrs (%)||0.2||0.2||0.2|
|D638||Tensile Strength (psi)||9,500||11,000||8,000|
|D638||Tensile Modulus (psi)||400,000||450,000||435,000|
|D638||Tensile Elongation at Break (%)||30||30||15|
|D790||Flexural Strength (psi)||12,000||13,000||12,000|
|D790||Flexural Modulus (psi)||400,000||450,000||435,000|
|D695||Compressive Strength (psi)||15,000||16,000||16,000|
|D695||Compressive Modulus (psi)||400,000||450,000||350,000|
|D785||Hardness, Rockwell||M88 / R120||M89 / R122||M85 / R115|
|D256||IZOD Impact Notched (ft-lb/in)||1.0||1.0||0.7|
|D696||Coefficient of Linear Thermal Expansion
(x 10-5 in./in./°F)
|D648||Heat Deflection Temp (°F / °C)
at 264 psi
|220 / 104||250 / 121||244 / 118|
|D3418||Melting Point Temp (°F / °C)||335 / 168||347 / 175||347 / 175|
|-||Max Operating Temp (°F / °C)||180 / 82||180 / 82||180 / 82|
(x 10-4 cal/cm-sec-°C)
|D149||Dielectric Strength (V/mil) short time, 1/8" thick||420||450||400|
|D150||Dielectric Constant at 1 MHz||3.8||3.7||3.1|
|D150||Dissipation Factor at 1 MHz||0.005||0.005||0.010|
|D257||Volume Resistivity (ohm-cm) at 50% RH||1015||1015||3.0 x 1016|
[Delrin material chart]
Experts in Machining Delrin® Acetal
When working with Delrin 150, we utilize advanced multi-axis machining capabilities to ensure precise tolerances are met each and every time. Our CNC machining technology provides the precision and repeatability to create complex parts with minimal handling and fixturing. In many cases, highly intricate parts can be completed in a single operation.
Using DPD/MBD processes (Digital Product Definition/Model-Based Definition) allows us to work directly from your completed CAD models. This capability reduces manufacturing errors and guarantees high-quality parts at low cost. We provide high quality, cost-effective Delrin plastic parts.
Top-Flight Communication through Every Step of Your Project
When you work with Upland Fab, you’ll have a single point of contact throughout your entire project. We prioritize customer communication and provide consistent, reliable updates to keep you informed as your project progresses. We keep you in the loop from the first step to the last.
Other Materials We Work With
Are you looking for another material? We have the ability to machine many different materials take a look below at some of the other plastics we work with.
Are you interested in taking a deeper look into which material you should be using? Contact us and we'll be happy to personally connect with you and discuss your application in more detail!